Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

New Lambs!

When I went out to feed this morning one of the big ewes was missing. They are always standing at the fence waiting for their flake of alfalfa. Their pen opens into the neighbors field, so after throwing out the hay I walked next door. I found her a little ways out into the pasture laying with a lamb on each side of her. All cleaned up and spotless, and mommy was very alert to them. I was worried about these big ewes, because they were bottle babies. Their own mothers rejected them, and they say that lack of instinct can be passed on to the next generation. She loves her babies! And she CAN count to two! If one gets out of sight she checks for BOTH lambs. what a great start to the lambing season. One female and one male. They were sired by our Shetland ram (Eddie).



 Eddie took up standing guard.


 All the other sheep were curious about them, and had to give them a sniffing.

"Where did they come from?" At least that's what it looked like she was asking me, after checking them out.

Kimberly

8 comments:

Shine said...

each one such a blessing

Tasha said...

Aww, they're beautiful! Congrats!

I can't wait for our girls to start lambing. Should be around the middle of March. :)

Oh, and my best ewe was a bottle lamb, and her daughters are wonderful mom's too! However, one of Hank's ewes (not a bottle lamb, just a terrible mom) passed on that trait to her daughters. We don't have her or any of her cazy offspring anymore, thank goodness. ;)

Congrats again! It makes me so happy to see those sweet little lambs. :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Cute!

An At Home Daughter said...

Shine~ Yes they certainly are!

An At Home Daughter said...

Natasha~ They are such sweet lambs. They certainly brighten up the day for everyone here. I can't wait for the rest of the ewes to lamb.
I pray you and Hank are blessed with your lambing season this year!

An At Home Daughter said...

Gorges~
Thanks!

Sam said...

Wow Kimberly, your Blog is looking great. I generally give my ewes a second chance, after that I figure it's pointless. Glad it worked out. I called Good Pics too.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

How wonderfully adorable! How nice to be able to enjoy them when they are so small and cute.


Please drop by and say hello!
ஐღLauraღஐ
Harvest Lane Cottage
...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
on a short shoestring budget!
~~~~~